It was started in 2005, by journalists from all the leading automobile magazines in India got together and decided to create and confer the Indian Car of the Year (ICOTY) award.
- This award is an expert judgment for best new car of the year.
- It is sponsored and supported by JK Tyres.
- Selection is based on criteria like price, fuel-efficiency, styling, comfort, safety, performance, practicality, technical innovation, value for money, and suitability for Indian driving conditions.
Selection of Contending Cars:
- Only new models qualify for this award.
- Existing cars with face lift/small changes do not qualify.
- Car must be manufactured or assembled in India and be on sale in showrooms before November 30th of the previous year.
- Each member of the jury has a maximum of 25 points. Every Jury member can allot a maximum of 10 points to one car.
- And every Jury member must give points to at least 5 of the contending cars.
This information is obtained from link here
The Indian Car of the Year Award (ICOTY) is presented annually to the best new car launched in India.
2016 – Hyundai Creta
2015 – Hyundai Elite i20
2014 – Hyundai i10 Grand
2013 – Renault Duster
2012 – Maruti Suzuki Swift
2011 – Ford Figo
2010 – Tata Nano
2009 – Honda City
2008 – Hyundai i10
2007 – Honda Civic
2006 – Maruti Suzuki Swift
Hyundai has won the award four times, while Maruti Suzuki and Honda have won twice.Most of the award winning cars have been from Japanese or Korean manufacturers, and are available globally in the same or different guises.
The Hyundai Elite i20 and i10 Grand, for instance, are available in Europe and Japan. The European Renault Duster developed by the Renault engineers, sold worldwide and built in India yet got this award for 2013. The Maruti brand on Suzuki models is exclusive to India. The Honda City is largely restricted to Asian and South American markets, while the Ford Figo is a modified version of the Ford Fiesta that was sold in Europe from 2002 to 2008. The Honda Civic is a global model, although not all versions are sold on every market.