How can I get US visa?
I got an opportunity to apply for Non immigrant US Visa and I am sharing my experience with you all. I will try to cover things like How to apply for US Visa, How to take appointment for Visa interview and what are general questions they ask in Visa interview. I had applied for Mumbai India office. There are multiple centers in India and you need to choose as per your convenience and may be by Visa Type.
How to Apply for a Non-immigrant Visa
1. Complete the DS-160 online application using https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/ and print the Confirmation Page with a barcode.
2. Pay the application fees
3. Schedule your appointment
4. Attend appointment at embassy for your Visa Interview.
5. Pick up your Visa/Passport from designated location.
There are 2 things involved for Visa interview:
1. To submit bio-metric information which includes fingerprints and digital photograph.
2. Visa Interview
Now for above 2 things there are 2 different offices in Mumbai and they are near to each other.
1. For Bio-metric information – Visa application center Trade center
2. For Visa Interview – US embassy
Please make a note that you don’t need to carry passport size photos for age above 14 years. Photo will be taken at Visa application center.
Visa application for the first time :
When your are applying for first time, you need to take 2 appointments on 2 different days.
First day you need to take Offsite Facilitation Center (OFC) appointment to submit bio-metric information including their fingerprints and digital photograph. There is One OFC is located in each
city where the Embassy or a Consulate is located. You must take an appointment in advance before visiting the OFC.
Note: No mobile phones or electonic devices nor handbag is allowed inside. You only need to carry documents in transparent folder.
Wallet, keys are allowed.
Things to do once you reach Visa application center(OFC )
1. Stand in queue to enter OFC.
2. Take out your passport, appointment confirmation and DS-160 confirmation.
3. Security person will take you inside.
4. Another person scans your DS-160 form and checks your passport and then you are allowed inside.
5. Inside there is another queue where your passport and DS-160 information is verified.
6. Then on next counter they will paste 1 number on your passport which is nothing but counter number for biometric scan.
7. NExt step is to go to that counter and scan both hands fingers and thumb impression. They will stamp your DS-160 form. Photo will be taken here.
8. Once that is done you are done for that day!!!
There is feedback machine where in you can provide your feedback.
Time taken : It took hardly 30 -40 mins for me.
Visa Interview appointment:
On Second day you need to visit the U.S. Embassy on the date and time of your visa interview.
Note : Again here no mobile phones or electonic devices nor handbag is allowed inside. You only need to carry documents in transparent folder.
Wallet, keys are allowed.
Things to do once you reach Visa Interview center
1. Stand in queue to enter US Embassy.
2. Take out your passport, appointment confirmation and DS-160 confirmation. You also need to carry supporting document like mentioned below:
-Cover letter if any
-Form 16 – 2/3 years
-Payslip for last 6 months
-Bank statement for 6 months
-Marriage certificate if applicable
3.Security person will take you inside.
4.Another person scans your DS-160 form and checks your passport and then you are allowed inside.
5.Inside there is another queue where your passport and finger prints for left hand are verified.
6. After that you need to stand in another queue for Visa interview.
7. They will randomly send you to some counter for Visa interview.
8. After interview if they keep the passport then it means Visa is approved.
Time taken : It took hardly 45 mins to 1 hr for me.
US Visa interview questions:
1. What is the purpose of your visit?
2. Experince with current company?
3. What is your total experience?
4. Have you ever been to any other country?
5. Duration of stay?
6. Whether you will be meeting client there?
Important note: If you are going by cab then take driver number on some paper as there is no car parking available. So you need to call your driver after your interview.
Your passport will be sent to you on selected address. You will get confirmation message/email from US embassy once passport is ready.
Can I change my visa interview date?
Non-immigrant applicants should schedule their appointments at U.S. Embassy/Consulate for a visa interview after June 29, 2015. There is NO need to contact the call center or customer support—simply
login to your visa appointment system profile and reschedule both of your appointments.
What is the DS 160 number?
Every applicant, including children, should have their own Form DS-160 visa application. The barcode number on the Form DS-160 confirmation page is required in order to book your interview.