Indian Police Service (IPS):
The Indian Police Service (IPS), is one of the three All India Services of the Government of India.It has replaced the Indian (Imperial) Police in 1948, a year after India gained independence from Britain.
To become IPS officer you need to pass UPSC Civil Service Exam.
The UPSC Civil Service Exam consists of 3 stages and they are Preliminary Exam, Mains Exam, and Personality Test/Interview.
UPSC Exam details:
The competitive examination comprises two successive stages:
I. Civil Services (Preliminary) Examinations (Objective Type) for the selection of candidates for Main Examination; and
II. Civil Services (Main) Examination
For IPS a candidate must be a citizen of India.
Age must be between 21 to 30 for General category.
Candidates of SC/ST and OBC will get extra age 5 and 3 years respectively.
Minimum height for Males 165 cm, Females-150 cmfor General Category Candidates.
Other than General Category Candidates 160 cm for Male and 145 cm for Female Candidates for Minimum Height require
Chest Males Minimum 84 cm, Should be expandable up to 5 cm
Chest Females 79 cm Should be expandable up to 5 cm.
Ranks of the IPS:
All State Police Services officers of and above the rank of Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) or Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) in State Police and Metropolitan Police forces respectively.
- Director, Intelligence Bureau (Government of India)
- Commissioners of Police (State) or Director Generals of Police, States and territories of India
- Joint Commissioners of Police or Inspector-Generals of Police, States and territories of India
- Additional Commissioners of Police or Deputy Inspector Generals of Police, States and territories of India
- Deputy Commissioner of Police (Selection grade) or Senior Superintendent of Police (National Emblem above two-star)
- Deputy Commissioner of Police or Superintendent of Police (National Emblem above one-star)
- Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police or Additional Superintendent of Police
- Assistant Commissioner of Police or Assistant Superintendent of Police
- Assistant Superintendent of Police – Two stars (Indian Police Service officer probationary rank on 2nd year of service)
- Assistant Superintendent of Police – One-star (Indian Police Service officer probationary rank on 1st year of service)
Salary of an IPS Officer: