Getting driving licence is/was very tedious process in India. You need to visit RTO office with all the documents needed. And if you are lucky, your application will be processed.
Now Ministry of Road Transport and Highways have come up with new online system to Apply Online for Driving License, Apply Online for Learner Driving Licence and Apply Online for Permanent Driving License. The name of website is www.sarathi.nic.in.
This will enable users to apply for the licence online, pay its fee and take the driving test at the authority’s office. Additionally, applicants will also be able to keep track of their licence via SMS updates.
How to obtain a learning Licence:
- Go to https://sarathi.nic.in:8443/nrportal/sarathi/HomePage.jsp
- Click on “New Learner Licence” on the left panel
- You will be directed to Instruction Page.
- Click on “Proceed to Download form on your computer”.
- NewLicence pdf gets downloaded.
- Open the application and fill all the Desired details required in the Driving License Form.
- Submit the Application and Take Printout of the receipt.
- Carry the Printout and all the necessary Document required on the appointment day like (Photos, Address Proof, Age
Proof, Identity Proof).
Note : If there is any issue with acrobat reader( PDF reader) refer https://sarathi.nic.in:8443/nrportal/sarathi/Browser/pdfHelp.html for doing Adobe Reader Settings To be Done at Client Side.
Other screen shots of Sarathi.nic.in:
Documents required for Learning Licence:
- Address Proof
- Passport, Voter id card, LIC Policy, Electricity bill
- Age Proof:
- School Certificate, Birth Certificate, Pan card
- 1 Photographs
- Medical Certificate (self declared)
- Applicants who already have either a valid driving licence or a valid learner licence for a different class are EXEMPTED from the preliminary
test, while applying for a new Learner Licence for a different class.
- Either there will be written test of multiple choice objective type questions or sometimes oral test will be conducted.
- They have also started ONLINE computer based tests in few Offices.
- Some of the states have started scheduling of appointments to appear for preliminary test as per convenience.
- If failed in the LL Test, the applicant can reappear for test on the next day on wards.
Syllabus For Preliminary Test:
Traffic signs and signals, rules of the road regulations made under the Section-118 of Central Motor Vehicle Act
Validity of Learning License:
The Learner’s licence is valid through out India for a period of 6 months only.